Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Hauling Out

Terry had a slow week at work (finally!) so we decided that now would be a good time to do a haul out for Obsession.  We also wanted to get a few mechanic things done before we do our sail to St. Croix in June for the Regional Convention. 

It's been several years since Obsession has had fresh bottom paint and we were starting to get a bit of a shaggy bottom. :)  In addition we needed a new cutlass bearing as well as engine mounts and an assortment of other items were needing attention. 

We decided to haul out this year at the boat yard at Nanny Caye on Tortola in the British Virgin Islands.  In the past with previous boats we've hauled out in St. Thomas at Independent Boat Yard.  Recently though, we've talked to several other boaties and they highly recommended Nanny Caye, so we decided to give it a try. 

Always strange to see your boat out of the water!

Fortunately I had to work the last three days so I will be heading over to Tortola on Thursday. I say fortunately because Terry tells me the inside of the boat is an absolute wreck!  Wisely, he has sent no pictures of the obvious disaster.  He had to actually remove the engine to do some work on it, so it is now sitting in the middle of my salon.  Everything is out of the quarter berth which is basically our storage area in the boat which means it's lying everywhere else in disarray.  Terry's been sleeping on one of the couches since the v-berth is full of stuff too.  So hopefully when I get there on Thursday at least a portion of the boat will be put back together, otherwise I'll be sleeping on the deck as there won't be room for me below!

I hope to post a few more pictures when I get there tomorrow of the progress that he's made! 

C